I was thinking today that I really need to be more productive in my personal life and stop procrastinating. There are so many things I want to get done, lots of them in relation to paying off debts but also other bits and bobs that I never get around to doing!
I procrastinated for so long over getting my last tax return done and I finally filed it amidst much stress on the day of the deadline – 31st January – having had nearly a year to do it!
I have trouble with getting seemingly tedious tasks done I guess but also there are things I really want or need to do but I struggle to make time for them. I tend to think about them on and off for a few weeks and then something will happen which means I have to get the job done urgently!
Some of the things I’ve been procrastinating over lately are:
- Getting my old stuff out and taking photos / doing listings to sell on Ebay.
- Finding some kind of regular freelance work to do from home in addition to my job.
- Tracking my monthly expenses (properly).
- Changing direct debit dates so they all come out on the same day.
- Filing all my letters/bills (I have a collection of around 6 months worth of mail – opened but not filed).
- Doing my self employed accounts regularly so that I don’t panic on 31st January next year.
- Clearing out the house and doing a car boot sale.
- Start (and stick to) some sort of fitness regime.
On top of this, I’ve got a whole load of work stuff that I keep procrastinating about and I definitely need to do something about this very soon!
That’s the tedious stuff but also I really want to get on with the following:
- Learn more about blogging, SEO and website development.
- Read more blogs and write more posts for my own blog. Basically spend more time blogging!
- Make more handmade things, I love crafting and hardly ever have time for it.
- Grow a vegetable patch so my family can eat organic veggies and we can save some money in the future.
- Teach my daughter how to swim without going to expensive baby swimming classes.
- Do more baking. In fact just to bake something successfully would be great.
- Write a book and get it published. Ok that’s obviously not going to happen anytime soon!
I have all the best intentions to get things done but after a long day at work, I can’t seem to get my mind or body into gear to tackle my list of things I’ve been putting off! Why do we procrastinate anyway? Well, according to Ivan Chan, it could be to do with psychological hurdles. Ivan recently wrote a really interesting guest post on Man Vs. Debt: 5 Devious Mental Blocks That Make You Procrastinate With Your Finances (And How To Defeat Them).
Here’s what I’m going to do to help me stop procrastinating and start being more productive:
- Write a ‘To Do’ list for today, this week and this month. I love lists, just crossing the smallest thing off makes me feel like I’ve achieved something!
- I tend to be more productive in the morning, so if possible I will tackle some jobs before work or at lunchtime (e.g. starting listings for Ebay, making phone calls, logging receipts for my accounts etc).
- Dedicate a couple of hours in the morning at the weekend to catch up on some tasks – that way the whole weekend won’t be affected.
- Start small with the fitness regime – at the weekends, I’m going to try (ha ha!) to go jogging in the morning with my dog.
- Use family time to tie in with my passion for handmade crafts. I’m sure my daughter will love having a go at some craft activities!
What things do you keep putting off and how do you become more productive?