Looking for your eCommerce site to become more popular?
While content is often neglected on eCommerce sites, it’s still one of the most important factors in ranking on Google.
But adding content for the sake of adding content is actually worse than not adding content at all. Just like registering a domain name with no relevance to your brand can leave would-be customers scratching their heads, creating content with no purpose will not engage the consumer and get sales.
So, we must look at what kind of content you should be adding if you’re going to do so.
The way content is structured can be summed up in one word: purpose. Today, I’m going to show you how to create content with purpose, and then I’m going to show you where to use it.
How to Create Content with Purpose
Read slowly—this part is very important!
Whether you’re writing product descriptions, blogs or guest posts for other sites, your content must always hold a high level of value. Without value your content holds no weight. And weightless content cannot be used to market anything.
Here’s how you create valuable content:
– Ask WHY you’re writing this. What does it achieve? Make sure the motivation is strong enough to add value to the reader. And once you start the actual writing process, make sure you stick to that original motivation.
– Ask WHO you are writing for. Have a clear idea in your head about who your target audience is. If you’re writing for everyone, you’re ultimately writing for no one.
– Ask HOW your message will be conveyed. If you’re simply providing facts, your content will be boring. But if you add excitement, interest, mystery and a touch of emotion to your content, your words will carry meaning.
Now let’s look specifically at how to create content for each of these three areas on your eCommerce site.
The Art of Enticing Product Descriptions
Product descriptions are short, but they should provide enough info to sell a product. In the context of buying, a product description is like the sales assistant. So what would a good salesperson do?
Focus on the Benefits
Instead of rambling off a bunch of features, tell the user WHY they should be buying the product. What end result will it have?
For example; A certain brand of dog food has features such as:
– High in Vitamin A
– High in essential oils
– Contains high amounts of protein
But ultimately the buyer wants to know the benefits the product will have on his or her dog, such as:
– Shiny coat
– High energy levels
– Longer life
Get the picture?
You don’t have much space for too much content on your product descriptions. But it’s always nice to tell your users what a product is similar to.
Comparing a product experience with something everyone can relate to is a powerful selling tool. It’s casual, comfortable and simple to understand. So don’t hesitate to tell your users that a particular brand of air freshener is like being on a permanent holiday on the coast.
Get excited about your products. If you don’t show your excitement in your product descriptions, don’t expect your customers to be enticed either.
Add a little comedy. Get emotional if you must. Do whatever it takes to make your product more appealing to the emotions we all share as human beings.
How to Blog for eCommerce
Content is a non-negotiable on any website. Without it, your site will be confusing and difficult to navigate. But other forms of content, such as blogging, form a strong SEO chain which will ultimately help your site get noticed.
Do you know how many people start their Google search with “How do I…?” Millions do, and they do it every day. Tap into that by creating blogs that answer pertinent questions about your products or about your purchasing processes.
New Product Launches
Did a new product just come in? Did you get excited about it? Good. Now get your audience excited about it too.
Let everyone know about that new product through a blog—and even offer it at a discounted rate to get the sales ball rolling.
If you’re looking for an excuse to blog, then blog about an event that’s taking place in your industry. Keeping up with popular events and relating those events to your products is a great way to spark interest and remain trendy in your marketing efforts.
News on your products or news that’s somehow related to your industry can and should be blogged about. Why? Because users (and Google) want to know that you’re up to date with what’s going on in your niche.
Guest Posting for Your eCommerce Platform
When you tell me you don’t guest post, I will shake my head at you in utter disdain. Guest posting for other companies is so important! Did you really think that you could market your eCommerce site by sitting quietly on your own little island of a website? Of course not! If you want other people to see you, tap into blogs and websites that already have large audiences. Write a super engaging blog, and watch your traffic (and Google ranking) go up.
Finding the Right Influencers
Before the writing begins, make sure you source great influencers who will allow you to guest post for them.
Some suggestions for you:
– Your Suppliers: Chances are they have a huge following and blog about their products regularly. Send them a guest submission and get your share of exposure.
– Industries Similar to Yours: Not competitors, but companies who sell products within your same industry (for example: if you sell sports equipment, you could connect with a gaming site that promotes sports games)
– Competitors from other countries who aren’t threatened by your presence in the industry: Blogging for a competitor who’s far away will help you get an online following that Google will immediately notice.
Remember to keep it interesting. The point of content is that it holds value. If you’re not sure how to create that value, consider hiring a professional writer to fulfil all your writing needs.